Appleton (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Appletons rich beginnings found their source at Lawrence Institute, the university in the woods, on the Fox River. Rev. Henry Colman and Rev. William Sampson chose the bluff on the river for the site of the institute. Amos A. Lawrence donated $10,000, and the building began in July 1848. It was with axe and hook that the first settlers cleared the land for Lawrence and Appleton. The city was made up of three villages: Martin (Grand Chute), Appleton, and Lawesburg. In 1857, the villages joined together to form the city of Appleton. Amos Story was the citys first mayor. Appletons industry grew on the banks of the Fox River, including hydroelectricity and paper.
neighborhood have the same style of brick architecture. George was employed by Wisconsin Michigan Power Company, and he also played in the 121st Field Artillery Band and the Appleton City Band. (Image courtesy of Barbara Hirn.) Henry and Helene (Schwahn) Koester built their home in 1900 at 707 Main Street in the Fourth Ward. In 1925, the entire city of Appleton’s address system was changed, and the home is now addressed as 203 South Mckinley Street. When it was built, it had a view of the river
under the photograph names identifies those standing (from left to right) as Schwerbel, Gardner, S.M. Doerfler, and A.S.M. Peterson, and those kneeling as Teasley, Buesing, and Sieth. Ralph Schwerbel went on to be a war correspondent in the Philippines for the Appleton Post Crescent during World War II until he was killed in action. (Image and caption courtesy of Bob Kohl.) 102 Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church had just finished construction of its second school in 1894 when this photograph was
courtesy of the Gerhard and Lorraine Junge Vogt family.) 111 The Appleton Post Office, pictured here around 1912, was located on the west side of Oneida Street between College Avenue and Edwards (now called Washington) Street. This area is currently the inside of the City Center Mall. It was the post office from the 1890s until the early 1920s. According to Ryan’s History of Outagamie County, “On January 2, 1888, the first free postal delivery occurred in Appleton; one delivery was made that
bicyclist keeping pace as they glide along. Children watch from the sidewalk and second-floor windows. The businesses on the south side of College Avenue between Durkee and Morrison Streets include tailor John Ross, plumber Henry Nichols, and Cawilk Paint Shop. A large sign advertises for B. Lyons manufacturer of the Capitol Cigar and Quaker Oats. (Image courtesy of Jon Porter.) 125 The circus brought a menagerie of animals to College Avenue in about 1900. Above, the reindeer, zebras, donkeys,
Chute (originally known as Martin), Appleton, and Lawesburgh. These made up the west, center, and east sections of the eventual city of Appleton. The sections were divided by deep ravines that crossed the landscape from the river inward. This map was given to Mary F. Mead by Mrs. Perry Smith on April 28, 1853. Mary Mead subsequently gave it to Maggie Grignon, who gave it to the Appleton Public Library in 1924. The map includes a number of interesting and outdated street names. Streets in Appleton