Fontana (CA) (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
The self-proclaimed "City of Innovation" has a great tradition of reinventing itself. Today's Fontana was once known as "Rancho de San Bernardino." The first recorded owner, Don Antonia Maria Lugo, passed the land down to his sons, and in 1851, the Lugo brothers sold their stake to Mormon settlers, who soon relocated to Utah. Various agricultural developers, including A.B. Miller, saw potential in the land, changing its name to "Fontana" from its earlier railroad name "Rosena." But citrus and grain were not the main exports for long. During World War II, the city switched gears to become an industrial powerhouse as Southern California's leading steel producer. At the junction of Interstates 10 and 15, modern Fontana is a vital nexus of transportation and commerce, with the legendary Route 66 passing through its well-preserved downtown district and Route 99 through its southern boundary.
downtown on the Pacific Electric Trail, between Seville and Spring Streets, west of Sierra Avenue. The Plaza contains the c. l912 Fontana Farms Company tract office, the Fontana Historical Society office, the 1912 Pacific Electric station, and the Felice Pagliuso St. Anthony’s Chapel. Pictured at the dedication are, from left to right, Mayor Mark Nuaimi, the Pagluiso daughters, and Hazel Putnam. The monthly Cruise and Market Night for the Speedway Connection features a wide selection of cars on
seed. In 1890, net profit was $150 per acre—a huge success. The area was the highest producer in San Bernardino Valley. E.T. Myers was secretary of the district and saved the records from the 1890s. The Taylor Home, part of the Lytle Creek Winery, still exists on Lytle Creek Road and Duncan Canyon Road, and the J.D. Gebhart family still owns land in the area. They built all the waterworks in the creek and on the land. This photo of the E.T. Myers Grapeland home, which also served as the post
a sawmill with the water wheel to run the saw. In the roadway to the new development, the blacksmith shop was found under the dirt. This is a look at the four-car garage during the Bullock Ranch era; unfortunately it suffered from a case of arson during the development of the area. The ranch had a fountain as well as main gateentrance rockwork. The area also had 100-year-old trees, a surfaced parking area, landscaping with citrus trees, and water to the caretaker’s home. The McGoverns were the
near where the Metrolink station is now. Passengers had to walk to the dedication site, which was about two blocks southeast on the corner of Arrow and Sierra Avenue. The huge Orange Show circus tent was the place to eat. Senor Garcia prepared the food; one of the most famous Spanish cooks in Southern California. If placed end to end, the tables at which the throngs were fed would reach an entire mile. More than 4,000 people were feasted. The menu included 1,500 pounds of beef, 500 pounds of
the Cohen Building, in 1926; the Crawford Building, in 1928; and the Tudor two-story building, in 1929. All of these buildings still remain today, but have been altered. This is a view of the buildings on Arrow, looking west toward Sierra Avenue. The far corner building is gone now. The stores on that block were Don Brower’s barbershop, the Aero Auto Store (later the Knights of Columbus Hall), and the Fontana National Bank (on the northwest corner of Wheeler and Arrow). City councilman Don Day