Frommer's Montreal and Quebec City (Frommer's Color Complete)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
- This book features hundreds of full-color photos to bring this cultural mecca to vivid life.
- Completely updated every year, Frommer's Montréal & Québec City features featureseverything you need to know to enjoythe sights and experiences that await you in two of North America's most romantic cities.
- Our author hits all the highlights, from Vieux-Montréal to Quebéc's fascinating Musée de la Civilisation. She's checked out all the best hotels and restaurants in person, and offers authoritative, candid reviews that will help you find the choices that suit your tastes and budget.
- You'll also get up-to-the-minute coverage of shopping and nightlife; detailed walking tours; accurate neighborhood maps; advice on planning a successful family vacation; and side trips to the Laurentians, Cantons-de-l'Est, Ile d'Orléans, Montmorency Falls, Ste-Anne-de-Beaupré, Parc Mont Ste-Anne, and Central & Upper Charlevoix.
- Frommer's Montréal & Québec City also includes a color fold-out map.
STATES urton New York eu St ier Ab CANADA rue StOliv d' QUÉBEC 0 150 km r. rue R icheli e 150 mi ôt 0 Ca p 42 m La Citadelle a nt Museum que DAY ONE 4 3 Grande Allée av. G eorg e V 1 I 5 1 Château Frontenac 2 Place-Royale p la in . de Petide amCivilisation t-Chla 3bdMusée C h a mpl ai n b4d. L’Échaudé 5 Rue St-Paul and Antiquing River Lawr ence BATTLEFIELD PARK St. -Di a 2 6 Marché du Vieux-Port ul e m pro ena de des rneu la rue bd Mo nt
designer hotels spans the spectrum from minimalist to ornate, and Le St-James sits squarely at the ornate end of the range. It began life as a merchant’s bank in 1870, and the opulence of that station has been retained. The bronze elevator doors are antiques from New York’s Waldorf Astoria hotel, with a second set opening into the massive penthouse with wraparound terrace. The grand hall, with Corinthian columns and balconies with gilded metal balustrades, houses XO Le Restaurant (in the former
www.pierreducalvet.ca. & 866/5441725 or 514/282-1725. Fax 514/282-0456. 10 units. C$265–C$295 double (about C$100 less in low Vieux-Montréal (Old Montréal) century home boasting velvet curtains, gold-leafed writing desks, and four-poster beds of teak mahogany. The wildly atmospheric public spaces are furnished with original antiques—not reproductions. Likewise, the voluptuous dining room, Les Filles du Roy, suggests a 19th-century hunting lodge (Masterpiece Theatre fans, this hotel is for
two entrances are on either side, rather than in the center, of the facade. American architect George Post, who was also responsible for designing the New York Stock Exchange, designed this building, erected in 1903. It served its original function until 1965, when it was redesigned as a theater with two stages. See p. 190 for theater information. Return back down rue St-François-Xavier to rue St-Paul. 21 Stash Café & L’Arrivage Café One possibility for lunch or a pick-me-up is the moderately
St-Denis. Turn left and continue south. Among the boutiques still to explore, at 4159 rue St-Denis, is: 10 Fruits & Passion This is the newest location in Montréal of the rapidly growing Canadian company that specializes in aromatic lotions, soaps, and products for household and pet care (p. 174). 162 At 4117 rue St-Denis, is: 11 Artéfact Montréal Québécois designers sell clothing and paintings at this bright little boutique, where a slip of a summer dress runs about C$250. After that,